Metal Powder Industries Federation (MPIF) Design Excellence Award is one of the most prestigious platforms in the Powder Metallurgy (PM) & Metal Injection Molding (MIM) for recognizing achievement in this industry.
GRAND PRIZE AWARDS
- In the Automotive—Engine Category for MIM components, a Grand Prize was awarded to Indo-MIM Pvt. Ltd., India, for a turbocharger vane. The part complexity includes a thin-walled, curved profile with a thick lug on top. A two-drop, hot runner tool is used to produce 12 parts per shot without any slide involvement.
- In the Automotive—Chassis Category for MIM components, a Grand Prize was awarded to Indo-MIM Pvt. Ltd., India, for a MIM-17-4 PH latching plate used in a collapsible roof assembly for passenger cars. A solid-film lubricant coating is applied to the part to reduce friction during operation of the collapsible roof. Molding was a challenge as the part has two thin features joined by a thicker slotted section.
- A Grand Prize in the Hand Tools/Recreation Category for MIM components was awarded to Indo-MIM Pvt. Ltd., India, for right- and left-hand bindings in ski shoes. The parts are made from MIM-4605 that is zinc-blue passivated for corrosion resistance. Previously the parts were cast and required many secondary operations to meet the desired configuration and dimensional tolerances.
- A Grand Prize was awarded to Indo-MIM Pvt. Ltd., India, in the Hardware/Appliances Category for MIM components for two MIM-17-4 PH parts, a keeper and a ramp used in a door-hinge assembly. The keeper has a thick but slotted, curved profile that extends 79 mm (~3 inches). By using three slides, two to form the hole running along the length, and another to form the slot at the center, two parts are produced per shot. Previously, the parts were cast and required considerable machining to achieve the desired dimensions.
- In the Medical/Dental Category for MIM components, a Grand Prize was awarded to Indo-MIM Pvt. Ltd., India, for a MIM-17-4 PH K-mount main part used in a digital surgical camera. The challenge in molding was to develop a slide mechanism robust enough to form the y-section with ease and with precise matching to avoid flash. Previously, the part was made as two separate pieces that were subsequently welded. This tended to create sharp edges that damaged the cable during use.
AWARDS OF DISTINCTION
- An Award of Distinction in the Automotive—Engine Category for MIM components was made to Indo-MIM Pvt. Ltd., India, for a valve poppet used in the fuel injection system of a diesel engine for heavy trucks. The extremely small part has a tight tolerance on its outside diameter and the perpendicularity of the three legs. Part-specific forms were used during sintering to maintain part quality.